Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Bread!

     "Hi. My name is Jules and I have an entire family that has an extreme carb addiction". Normally this would be where you would say "Hi Jules"! Except that we do not apologize for it and in fact we try to accommodate it...especially me since it allows a great opportunity to get a ton of whole grains into my family. Hey, if you can't beat 'em join 'em right? So Everyone who knows me knows I love to bake but that i don't have a lot of time and I have a pretty picky audience so these two bread recipes that I have found have been tested and approved both time and taste wise. I hope that they work for you too!

      The first is The Amazing No-Knead Bread, a five minute bread that can be made as a white or wheat bread. It has a crunchy crust and a chewy center that is fantastic for panini's and stews and even as a bread bowl! It's amazing! I found the recipe through Mary Beth, my college suite-mate who is a SAHM. She was right. It's easy and delicious. The website not only walks you through the process but the writer is nice enough to provide pictures as well for people like me. I'm constantly second guessing bread dough for some reason but this bread...you can't screw it up! No matter what it will be delicious :) 
Quick photo of my first loaf before my boys devoured it :)

       The second is Potato Flake Sourdough Bread. I grew up on this bread and to this day it is one of my favorites. Everyone gets scared at the idea of keeping something alive in their fridge but it's easy! I can't keep the flowers on my back porch alive but Lord knows I can keep my Starter alive. This site walks you through from creating your starter, feeding it (like a pet :D), and making your bread. I make cinnamon rolls, mini loaves, and regular loaves from this. It really is my go to bread and it takes so little time that I have loaves going at least once a week. Unfortunately they don't last long enough for pictures sooo...hopefully in the future I can add some :) 
      Also, as a side note. If you don't own any  Mason Jars...go buy some. I use them for storage, decorating, my sourdough starter (**hint, hint**). They're versatile across the house and garage for any need  and are incredibly cheap. annnnd...they come in all sorts of fun sizes. So go. Buy. Now. Well, after you finish reading anyways :D
Happiness is a crust smile :)


       Being a working mom isn't always easy, and often we have to sacrifice certain things to make our schedules work, but homemade food shouldn't be one of them. I want my son to be able to look back and say that growing up our house always smelled like good food and fresh bread. These recipes help me accomplish those goals. Hopefully they will help you accomplish your mommy dreams too!

                                               Best Wishes,
                                            Jules & Monkey














Gotta love PJ's and cuddle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment